Teen patti means ” three-card-brag, “, a gambling card game. It’s a gambling card game that originated in the Indian subcontinent , being popular throughout South Asia. Players’ main goal is to receive best 3 cards in hand as high as possible for each hand ranking, and try to maximize the prize pool before your showdown of winning.
General Steps of Teen Patti
1.Select a Dealer & Place an Ante
If you are going to play teen patti online, there’s no need to worry about the dealer. An ante is collected from each player to form an initial pot (prize pool) that players will fight over.
2.Receive Your Cards & Start Acting
The dealer deals 3 cards face-down to himself, and each player get 3 cards as well. Later on, the first player can choose to play “Blind” or “Seen.” It means he can decide to play with or without showing the cards.
- Blind – If you are playing blind, you must bet at least the current stake (Boot). The current stake for the next player is then the amount that you bet (if he’s playing blind as well) or twice the amount that you bet (if he has seen his cards already).
- Seen- If you have already seen your Teen Patti sequence, you must bet at least as much as the current stake (if the player who bet before you had seen his cards too) or at least twice (if the player who bet before you was playing blind).
Each player will have the option of folding, calling or raising as a blind or seen player. How much a player can bet depends on the current stake set by the previous player. If blind it’s either 1x or 2x the stake, and if seen either 2x or 4x the stake. If the player who previously acted is seen, what is considered the stake will always be half as much as what the stake is considered to be from a previously acting player who is blind.
The players must keep betting until one of the following things happens:
- All except one player has folded. Here, the remaining player wins all the Teen Patti chips in the pot, irrespective of the Teen Patti sequence held.
- All except two players have folded and one of these players at their turn bets for a show. Here, the Teen Patti sequence of both players is compared.
4.Request a Sideshow
At any point of the game, during your turn, you can request the player who bet immediately before you a sideshow. That player can either accept or refuse the sideshow.
- If the sideshow is accepted, the two players compare their cards, and the player with the lower ranking Teen Patti sequence must immediately fold. If they are equal, the player who asked for the sideshow must fold.
- If the sideshow is refused, the betting continues as usual.
5.Demand a Showdown
Whenever players have folded or side-shows have occurred as to leave only two players left in the game, one of the players can demand a final showdown. The player how doesn’t demand it must either fold or call. If he calls the two players will show their cards and the one with the highest hand ranking will win the entire pot.
Ranking of Hands
There are two ways teen patti is played. One is by using a standard 52-card deck and another is by adding the two Joker cards, which are used as wild cards. The object of the game is to have the best three-card hand and to maximize the pot before the showdown.
Any hand of a higher category beats any hand of a lower category. If two players have the same combination then the pot is split between the two no matter which of the two players asked for showdown.
Ranking of the card hands from highest to lowest is:
1. Trail / Set / Trio
This is the best hand in teen patti. Three similar cards regardless of color or suit (for instance, A-A-A or 9-9-9 of a diamond, heart and spade)
2. Pure Sequence / Straight Flush
It’s also lucky to have this second best hand in teen patti. Three consecutive cards of the same suit and color (for instance, A-2-3 of hearts or K-Q-J of clubs)
3. Sequence / Run / Straight
Three consecutive cards of different suits (for instance, A-2-3 or K-Q-J of a spade, heart, and diamond)
4. Color / Flush
Three cards of the same suit and color, but not in a sequence (for instance, A-K-K of hearts or 9-4-3 of spades).
Two cards of the same rank regardless of color or suit (for instance A-A-9 or 5-5-J)
6. High Card
High card would be the worst hand, while you have only few chance to win. Three cards that are not in a sequence, of the same value or the same suit (for instance, A-9-4 with two diamonds and one spade)
Instead of going into a virtual casino or collecting friends, you can also play teen patti online via websites or apps whenever and wherever you want. Find a place to play and have some fun!